Every find yourself browsing Netflix's movies trying to find something to watch? Let me watch it for you!

bitvertiser

Friday, January 27, 2012

Searching For Bobby Fisher (1993)

  • Rated PG
  • 110 mins
  • HD
  • I rated it 3 stars (Liked It)
Initial Thoughts:
One of my resolutions this year is to study and improve at chess. I've probably seen a quarter of this film in snippets flipping through the channels, but when I found out that it's based on the early life of Josh Waitzkin, I was sold. I'm hoping it ages well.

Movie:
I'm disappointed; I was really hoping Searching would show more chess, but it was really about young kids and high-level competition.

Waitzkin was a true prodigy, and we follow him as he begins his chess career. Early on he's confident and playing with abandon, but soon he faces a player solely focused on chess. He's taken out of school and tutored by a former champion.

As Josh realizes that he may be beatable, he retreats and concludes that winning is not everything. Josh's dad (a sports writer) dials up the pressure to shake his son of his caution, but Josh's bitch mother thinks it's too hard on the boy.

The answer then is to completely forget about chess for a couple weeks. Upon returning, Waitzkin is refreshed and in the right mindset to deal with the ever mounting pressure.

The match takes place between the two prodigies, and in a tight spot, Josh sees a line that snatches victory from defeat.

Afterthoughts:
Again, I wish it was a more technical film. Though any film trying to make money has to be as general as possible. It's a bit erratic, a bit sappy, and not all that fun to watch. The whole Bobby Fisher thing seems forced and unnatural. Still though, with all of that, I'd still say it's worth a look. Just don't expect great things.

5 comments:

  1. Nice review, I seen it a while back and agree, it's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds pretty good! Gosh, I haven't played chess in years! My dad made all of us kids learn. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing that long ago, part of what got me in to chess to begin with. I suppose we all think we'll be the next bobby fisher...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I'll try to watch it, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why I've never seen this. A whole film about chess? I dunno if I can stay awake for a whole 110 minutes of that.

    ReplyDelete