Every find yourself browsing Netflix's movies trying to find something to watch? Let me watch it for you!

bitvertiser

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Buried (2010)


  • Rated R for language and some violent content
  • 95 mins
  • HD
  • I rated it 1 star (Hated It)*
Initial Thoughts: 
Ryan Reynolds trapped in a box for an entire movie? I'm sold. Ever since Van Wilder I thought, "Oh, how wonderful it would be to bury this idiot in a coffin and forget about him. Also, you can generally tell how insipid this thing is gonna be by the "critic" blurbs -- Intense, Suspenseful, Thriller = plot sucks.

Movie:
It's 95 minutes of Ryan Reynolds in a box making mistake after mistake after mistake, to the point where I got to find the controller to turn it off. As I was about to actually turn it off, I thought to myself, "What if it gets better?" -- wrong. It didn't. 

Credit where credit is do; I do applaud director Rodrigo Cortes for staying true to the format and never showing action, or flashbacks outside of the coffin. That's about it though. I understand that a person waking up in a coffin, with no idea where they are and if they'll be rescued, will not be thinking clearly. I understand that. What I don't understand is how Reynold's character can make so many dumb decisions and still get a far along as he did. That was the longest single bar of power in the history of Blackberry. There's some stuff about an ex-wife and family, but really who cares. They didn't seem that excited to pick up the phone for him, so why should we care about his family? 

Actually, it makes more sense that this was in fact a 95 minute commercial for RIM. RIM has been in trouble lately, and this is a great way for them to jump back into the market. Blackberry: who needs fancy battery draining apps when you're stuck in a coffin, in the desert with one battery bar?

Afterthoughts: 
Honestly I've tried not to think much about Buried. I saw it. I'm not happy about it. I'm trying to move on with my life. 

The whole thing stinks of a master's project. The director is so caught up making a film that 12 people would think is a masterpiece that millions just ask, why?

*Netflix does not allow 0 stars


2 comments:

  1. I never watched it because I thought it would be to boring, I think I was right

    ReplyDelete
  2. sort of reminded me of phone booth, except for the ending

    ReplyDelete